WASHINGTON, March 23 (Reuters) – Private emails that Hillary Clinton turned over to a House committee investigating the 2012 attack on a U.S. compound in Benghazi, Libya, show her aides sometimes used their personal email accounts to communicate with her, the New York Times reported on Monday.
But the approximately 300 emails from Clinton, the presumptive presidential candidate, do not prove the former secretary of state ordered a “stand down,” stopping U.S. forces from responding to the Benghazi attack or participated in any related cover-up, the newspaper reported, citing four senior government officials.
The Times report is the latest revelation in the saga over Clinton and her use of a personal email address to conduct government business, as well as a private computer server to store that correspondence.
Clinton spokesman Nick Merrill told the Times that Clinton’s aides primarily used their work email to correspond with her about government matters, adding that “only the tiniest fraction of the more than 1 million emails they sent or received involved their personal accounts.”
According to the Times, at least four Clinton aides occasionally used personal emails to contact her while she was at the State Department, including her foreign policy adviser, Jake Sullivan; chief of staff, Cheryl Mills; senior adviser, Philippe Reines; and her personal aide, Huma Abedin.
A spokesman for the Republican-controlled House Select Committee on Benghazi declined to comment, according to the newspaper.
Clinton has said she gave copies of all work-related emails to the State Department, but Republicans, who see her as their top target in the run-up to the 2016 election, continued to press for more records.
Last week Republicans asked the State Department to hand over numerous documents related to Clinton’s use of private email while she was secretary of state and have called on her to hand over her email server to a third party.
Trey Gowdy, the South Carolina Republican who chairs the House committee investigating Benghazi, has said he does not think Clinton has given the committee all emails related to the attack and last week extended the deadline for her to turn them over. (Reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Bill Trott and Jeffrey Benkoe)
Source: Huff Post